qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] troubleshooting live migration

From: Marcin Gibuła
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] troubleshooting live migration
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 23:33:44 +0100

> I tried -no-hpet, was still able to replicate the 'lapic' issue. I
> find it interesting that I can only trigger it if the vm has been
> running awhile.

Hi,

I've seen identical crashes with live migration in our environment. It looks identical - VM has to be idle for some time and after migration CPU is at 100% and VM is dead. All migration happens between same hardware.

I don't think I've ever had Windows guest crashing like this and I think this is somehow related to kvmclock. I've tried to debug qemu guest process and from I can tell, its kernel is busy looping in some time management related functions. Could you try to reproduce this issue with -no-kvmclock? Our testing environment is currently offline so I can't test it myself.

We also use 3.10 kernel (though 3.8 wasn't working either) and strugled with this issue with qemu 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6. Didn't test 1.7. Also we're using AMD CPUs, so it seems to be platform independend.

--
mg