qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM and variable-endianness guest CPUs

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM and variable-endianness guest CPUs
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:02:19 +0000

On 22 January 2014 19:29, Victor Kamensky <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 22 January 2014 09:29, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This just isn't how real buses work. There is no
>> "address + 1, address + 2". There is a single address
>> for the memory transaction and a set of data on
>> data lines and some separate size information.
>
> Yes, and those data lines are just binary signal lines
> not numbers. If one would want to describe information
> on data lines as number he/she needs to assign integer
> bits numbers to lines, and that is absolutely arbitrary
> process

It is part of the definition of the bus which signal pin is
D0 and which is D31...

>  In one choose one way to assigned those
> bits to lines and another choose reverse way, they will
> talk about completely different numbers for the same
> signals on the bus. Such data lines enumeration has
> no reflection on how bus actually works. And I don't
> even see why it should be described just as single
> integer, for example one can describe information on
> data lines as set of 4 byte value, nothing wrong with
> such description.

It is not how the hardware works. If you describe it as
a set of 4 bytes, then you need to also say how you are
mapping from those 4 bytes to the actual 32 bit data
transaction the hardware is doing. Which is the question
we're trying to answer in this thread.

I've snipped a huge chunk of my initial reply to this email,
because it all boiled down to "sorry, you're just not correct
about how the hardware works" and it doesn't seem
necessary to repeat it three times. Devices really do see
"this is a transaction with this value and this size". They
do not in any way see a 32 bit word write as "this is a collection
of byte writes". Therefore:

 1) thinking about a 32 bit word write in terms of a byte array
    is confusing
 2) since the KVM API is unfortunately stuck with this byte
   array, we must define the semantics of what it actually
   contains, so that the kernel and QEMU can go between
  "the value being read/written in the transaction" and
  "the contents of the byte array

>> As soon as you try to think of the mmio.data as a set
>> of bytes then you have to specify some endianness to
>> the data, so that both sides (kernel and userspace)
>> know how to reconstruct the actual data value from the
>> array of bytes.
>
> What actual value? In what sense? You need to bring
> into discussion semantic of this h/w address to really tell
> that.

I've just spent the last two emails doing exactly that.
The actual value, as in "this CPU just did a memory
transaction of a 32 bit data value".

> BTW could you please propose how will you see such
> "32 bit transaction, value 0x04030201, address $whatever".
> on ARM LE CPU in mmio.data?

That is exactly the problem we're discussing in this thread.
Indeed, I proposed an answer to it, which is that the mmio.data
array should be in host kernel byte order, in which case it
would be (for an LE host kernel) 0x01 in mmio.data[0] and so
on up.

> If it would be {0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x4} it is fine with
> me. That is current case ARM LE case when above
> snippets would be executed by guest.
>
> Would we  agree that the same arrangement would be
> true for all other cases on ARM regardless of all other
> endianities of qemu, KVM host, guest, hypervisor, etc?

No; under my proposal, for a big-endian host kernel (and
thus big-endian QEMU) the order would be
mmio.data[0] = 0x04, etc. (This wouldn't change based
on the guest kernel endianness or whether it happened
to have set the E bit temporarily.)

Defining that mmio.data[] is always little-endian would
be a valid definition of an API if we were doing it from
scratch. It has the unfortunate property that it would
completely break the existing PPC BE setups, which
don't define it that way, so it is a non-starter.

Defining it as being always guest-order would mean that
userspace had to continually look at the guest CPU
endianness bit, which is annoying and awkward.

Defining it as always host-endian order is the most
reasonable option available. It also happens to work
for the current QEMU code, which is nice.

thanks
-- PMM