qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Emulating Ethernet controller based on Cortex-A15 platforms

From: rajan pathak
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Emulating Ethernet controller based on Cortex-A15 platforms
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:28:01 -0800

Hello Experts

I am new to QEMU development and trying to emulate Ethernet controller based on
Corext-A15 platform.

Current I am able to up the QEMU console and see it uses SMSC 91C111 Ethernet interface emulation code.

I have compiled the kernel using versatile_defconfig where I can see CONFIG_SMC91X,So I guess it uses SMSC 91C111 as its Ethernet controller.

I can see call to this  smc91c111_init(nd, 0x10010000, sic[25]); function is made inside hw/arm/versatilepb.c which triggers the initialization of emulated SMSC Ethernet controller in hw/net/smc91c111.c.

I am looking to emulate Ethernet controller based on Cortex-A15 platform,so for
Do I need to use vexpress_defconfig instead of versatile_defconfig?

If I have to use vexpress what would initializtion point of my emulated Ethernet controller based Cortex-A15 platform?

Would be inside vexpress_common_init() of vexpress.c

/* 0x4e000000 LAN9118 Ethernet */
    if (nd_table[0].used) {
        lan9118_init(&nd_table[0], map[VE_ETHERNET], pic[15]);
    }

Could anyone please confirm this above understanding of mine?

Thanks
Rajan