qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulating Ethernet controller based on Cortex-A15 platf

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulating Ethernet controller based on Cortex-A15 platforms
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:10:10 +0000

On 23 January 2014 20:02, rajan pathak <address@hidden> wrote:
> To be very specific I am trying to emulate Ethernet controller of KeyStone 2
> device from TI
>
> http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MCSDK_User_Guide_for_KeyStone_II
>
> It is based on CortexA-15 Processor series. So I thought I can use
> vexpress_defconfig and can call
> my Emulated Ethernet controller instead of LAN9118 from vexpress.c.
>
> After that I will place my Emulated Ethernet controller code(which haven't
> started)  inside hw/net .

It seems unlikely that you can simply put an ethernet
controller from an entirely different SoC into the
vexpress board. A versatile express kernel will not be
looking for that SoC or device. Conversely, a kernel
compiled for the KeyStone II will expect to see the
devices present in that SoC, not the versatile express
ones. Embedded SoC devices are not generally
interchangeable between boards and kernels in this way,
though it is not totally impossible to hack something
together if you are prepared to mess with both QEMU
and the kernel.

Why do you need to emulate this specific ethernet
controller?

thanks
-- PMM