qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] osx bootloader

From: Gabriel L. Somlo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] osx bootloader
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 22:07:37 -0500

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:51:25PM +0100, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> Here are some pages that might help enlightening the boot process:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/booting/booting.html
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/efi-boot-process.html#Apple
> http://developer.apple.com./mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/References/ManPages/man8/bless.8.html

So, basically, every well-behaved OS will drop a (set of) files
somewhere under /EFI/<vendor>/, except for OS X which expects the
BIOS/firmware to bypass all that mundane stuff and go straight for
/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi on a the selected boot
partition, and only fall back to /EFI/* if that doesn't pan out :)

But now I think it's starting to make sense. Chameleon's stage2
loader, named "boot" (which we're starting via "-kernel boot", and
which is the only piece of Chameleon we need) is apparently equivalent
to Apple's "boot.efi", which it bypasses, and which I think is what
Alex was talking about (i.e., eventually getting TianoCore to pick
up and run "boot.efi" as left behind by the vanilla OS X installer).

Thanks again for the helpful links !!!

--Gabriel