qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Ahead-Of-Time vs JIT; Caching

From: Daniel Zulla
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Ahead-Of-Time vs JIT; Caching
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 22:52:54 -0800

Hello!

I would like to ask whether there are any ongoing efforts towards accelerating the QEMU User mode Translation by conducting path exploration; binary decoding (For example supported by an Intel tool like XED2 or academic work like Jakstab) (ahead-of-time, before translation starts) and more importantly, I would be very interested to hear your opinion about a TranslationBlock (TCG, possibly LLVM [1]) disk cache that shall be created during or after the dynamic translation process.

My assumption is that a combination of static exploration and disassembly along with hard cached TranslationBlocks (Like an LLVM bit code file) could lead towards a significant speed-up after a single execution round and would give the project direction towards a static binary translation component.

I am very much looking forward to hearing some of your opinions on this!

Thanks,
zulla

[1] http://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/149975/files/x86-llvm-translator-chipounov_2.pdf