qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 16/16] target-i386: Move KVM default-vendor hack

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 16/16] target-i386: Move KVM default-vendor hack to instance_init
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 00:23:19 +0000

On 9 February 2014 00:10, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 8 February 2014 23:33, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Il 08/02/2014 18:28, Andreas Färber ha scritto:
>>> Since when is it OK to declare variables in the middle of the block?
>
>> When the code looks better, it is OK since always: checkpatch.pl doesn't
>> complain and -Wdeclaration-after-statement is not added to the compiler
>> flags.
>
> Huh? checkpatch is notoriously not a reliable guide, and we've had
> the "declarations at start of block" rule since forever.

FWIW, we have just 39 files[*] which fail to follow the "declarations at
start of block" rule out of 2566, which is pretty good compliance for a
coding style rule which isn't enforced by technical means (I expect
it's much better than we achieve for "no hard tabs" or "braces on
all if statement arms", for instance).

[*] as tested by a compile with -Wdeclaration-after-statement,
so slightly undercounting but not I think seriously.

thanks
-- PMM