qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Trying to write a new device / virtio-i2c ?

From: Alex David
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Trying to write a new device / virtio-i2c ?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 14:26:16 +0100

Hello,

I'm new to QEMU and kinda new to driver & QEMU programming in general, so please excuse my questions...

I want to develop a new QEMU i2c device (qemu x86), that would get/send data to an application running on the guest. Thing is : I need these data onto the host, as a daemon will send/get the same kind of data to the guest.

After reading code, documentation and available things, I've been trying to write something like a "virtio-i2c" : I wrote a virtio-i2c module for my kernel (I used some examples from virtio-pci and virtio-console), it seems that it created a "i2c-1" device in /dev,

My device that I launch with QEMU (-chardev socket,path=/tmp/test0,server,nowait,id=bob -device virtio-i2c,chardev=bob) doesn't seem to be recognized by the kernel driver : my probe function doesn't run.

I might have missed something : how does a kernel driver uses the "probe" function with a QEMU device ?

Hoping that it doesn't look too confused...