qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Call for testing QEMU aarch64-linux-user emulation

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Call for testing QEMU aarch64-linux-user emulation
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:40:00 +0000

Hi,

After a solid few months of work the QEMU master branch [1] has now reached
instruction feature parity with the suse-1.6 [6] tree that a lot of people
have been using to build various aarch64 binaries. In addition to the
SUSE work we have fixed numerous edge cases and finished off classes of
instructions. All instructions have been verified with Peter's RISU
random instruction testing tool. I have also built and run many
packages as well as built gcc and passed most of the aarch64 specific tests.

I've tested against the following aarch64 rootfs:
    * SUSE [2]
    * Debian [3]
    * Ubuntu Saucy [4]

In my tree the remaining insns that the GCC aarch64 tests need to
implement are:
    FRECPE
    FRECPX
    CLS (2 misc variant)
    CLZ (2 misc variant)
    FSQRT
    FRINTZ
    FCVTZS

Which I'm currently working though now. However for most build tasks I
expect the instructions in master [1] will be enough.

If you want the latest instructions working their way to mainline you
are free to use my tree [5] which currently has:

* Additional NEON/SIMD instructions
* sendmsg syscall
* Improved helper scripts for setting up binfmt_misc
* The ability to set QEMU_LOG_FILENAME to /path/to/something-%d.log
  - this is useful when tests are failing N-levels deep as %d is
    replaced with the pid

Feedback I'm interested in
==========================

* Any instruction failure (please include the log line with the
  unsupported message)
* Any aarch64 specific failures (i.e. not generic QEMU threading flakeiness).

If you need to catch me in real time I'm available on #qemu (stsquad)
and #linaro-virtualization (ajb-linaro).

Many thanks to the SUSE guys for getting the aarch64 train rolling. I
hope your happy with the final result ;-)

Cheers,

--
Alex Bennée
QEMU/KVM Hacker for Linaro