qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] device_del id missing after blockdev-add

From: William Dauchy
Subject: [Qemu-devel] device_del id missing after blockdev-add
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:36:42 +0100

Hello,

I'm starting qemu with the following config in order to test drive
hotremove and hotadd:

[drive "disk1"]
  if = "none"
  id = "disk1"
  cache = "none"
  aio = "native"
  format = "raw"
  file = "/dev/sda"

[device "disk1"]
  driver = "scsi-hd"
  drive = "disk1"
  scsi-id = "1"
  removable = "on"
  vendor = "gandi.net"
  dpofua = "off"

I'm now testing device removable without any problem:

(QEMU) device_del id=disk1
{   u'return': {   }}
(QEMU)
{u'timestamp': {u'seconds': 1392645815, u'microseconds': 484557}, u'data':
{u'device': u'disk1', u'path': u'/machine/peripheral/disk1'}, u'event':
u'DEVICE_DELETED'}

then, I want to readd the disk, without anyproblem too (with the same
id):

{ "execute": "blockdev-add", "arguments": {'options' : {'driver': 'raw',
'id':'disk1', 'file': {'driver': 'file', 'filename': '/dev/sda'}}} }
{ "device_add", "arguments": {'driver':'scsi-hd', 'drive':'disk1', 'scsi-i':1,
'removable':on} }

The issue is when I want to hot remove the disk again:

(QEMU) device_del id=disk1
{   u'error': {   u'class': u'DeviceNotFound',
                  u'desc': u"Device 'disk1' not found"}}

the output of query-block is the same everywhere:

                   {   u'device': u'disk1',
                       u'inserted': {   u'backing_file_depth': 0,
                                        u'bps': 0,
                                        u'bps_rd': 0,
                                        u'bps_wr': 0,
                                        u'drv': u'raw',
                                        u'encrypted': False,
                                        u'encryption_key_missing': False,
                                        u'file': u'/dev/sda',
                                        u'image': {   u'actual-size': 0,
                                                      u'dirty-flag': False,
                                                      u'filename': u'/dev/sda',
                                                      u'format': u'raw',
                                                      u'virtual-size':
3221225472},
                                        u'iops': 0,
                                        u'iops_rd': 0,
                                        u'iops_wr': 0,
                                        u'ro': False},
                       u'io-status': u'ok',
                       u'locked': False,
                       u'removable': True,
                       u'tray_open': False,
                       u'type': u'unknown'}]}

I guess blockdev-add is not storing the device details as it's done when
using the configuration file, i.e, id is not stored correctly when using
blockdev-add.

Should I consider this as a bug or I wait for the merge of blockdev-del
and ignore device_del command? In all cases I guess device_del should
work in this case too.

these tests were done using the last version available on the git repo
(using master branch)

Regards,
--
William