qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cortex-M3: reading NVIC registers causes segfaults

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cortex-M3: reading NVIC registers causes segfaults
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:51:26 +0000

On 18 February 2014 01:14, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
> While first_cpu may help Andreas in his local copy for STM32, that
> assumption is not okay in general. The Vybrid VF6 has both a GIC and an
> NVIC, so our NVIC code should not make assumptions which CPU it can
> access.

Do you mean it has an M core CPU with an NVIC plus some other
A-class CPU with a GIC. Certainly in a system with heterogenous
CPUs this change won't work, but we don't support that at all
currently and there's a lot of work between here and there.

> I assume we would shield both using CPU address spaces

The GIC needs to know which CPU it's being accessed by.
I guess in theory you could have it export N distributor memory
regions which were identical apart from making "I assume I'm
being accessed by CPU X" assumptions, but that seems like a
bit of a kludge. Ideally we should have some way for the target
of a memory transaction to get at information about the source
(ie all the out of band info that hardware sends like master ID,
privilege level, secure vs nonsecure, etc).

> but I
> wonder if either of you two has already thought about how those will
> interact for gdbstub?

I'd need to look at the protocol to figure out if gdbstub does
memory accesses in the context of a particular thread (CPU
for us) or not. If not, that could be awkward.

thanks
-- PMM