qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MSI interrupt support with vioscsi.c miniport driver

From: Nicholas A. Bellinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MSI interrupt support with vioscsi.c miniport driver
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:11:18 -0800

On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 13:00 -0800, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 11:05 -0800, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
>
> <SNIP>

> > > Hi Nicholas,
> > >
> > > I was thinking about enabling MSI in RHEL 6.6 (build 74) but for some
> > > reasons decided to keep it disabled until adding mq support.
> > >

> > > You definitely should be able to turn on MSI_SUPPORTED, rebuild the
> > > driver, and switch MSISupported to 1 to make vioscsi driver working in
> > > MSI mode.
> > >

> > Thanks for the quick response.  We'll give MSI_SUPPORTED=1 a shot over
> > the next days with a test build on Server 2012 / Server 2008 R2 and see
> > how things go..
> >

> Just a quick update on progress.
>
> I've been able to successfully build + load a unsigned vioscsi.sys
> driver on Server 2012 with WDK 8.0.
>
> Running with MSI_SUPPORTED=1 against vhost-scsi results in a significant
> performance and efficiency gain, on the order of 100K to 225K IOPs for
> 4K block random I/O workload, depending on read/write mix.

One other performance related question..

In vioscsi.c:VioScsiFindAdapter() code, the default setting for
adaptExt->queue_depth ends up getting set to 32 (pageNum / 4) when
indirect mode is enabled in the following bits:

    if(adaptExt->indirect) {
        adaptExt->queue_depth = max(2, (pageNum / 4));
    } else {
        adaptExt->queue_depth = pageNum / ConfigInfo->NumberOfPhysicalBreaks -
1;
    }

Looking at viostor/virtio_stor.c:VirtIoFindAdapter() code, the default
setting for ->queue_depth appears to be 128 (pageNum):

#if (INDIRECT_SUPPORTED)
    if(!adaptExt->dump_mode) {
        adaptExt->indirect = CHECKBIT(adaptExt->features,
VIRTIO_RING_F_INDIRECT_DESC);
    }
    if(adaptExt->indirect) {
        adaptExt->queue_depth = pageNum;
    }
#else
    adaptExt->indirect = 0;
#endif

Is there a reason for the lower queue_depth for vioscsi vs. viostor..?

How about using min(adaptExt->scsi_config.cmd_per_lun, pageNum) instead..?

Thanks!

-nab