qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] ROM access from cpu context

From: Elliot Buller
Subject: [Qemu-devel] ROM access from cpu context
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:39:51 -0800

Hello,

I'm writing a small OS for ARM cortex processors and have found it greatly useful to test using qemu and the lm3s6965evb machine. The one peripheral it is missing is the flash controller. I was able to add the basic interface to mirror registers allowing to write flash words as well as erase pages. My issue is on the stellaris machine driver (hw/arm/stellaris.c) I am unable to access the rom image. I can get a pointer to the buffer using void *rom_ptr (hwaddr) but I cannot access it from the machine driver thread context. I need to be able to access this to read/write "flash" from my NOR filesystem. I will also need to XIP from that region but I'm assuming that will just work after the code has been written there.

Is there a better or right way to do this? I don't want to add a pflash peripheral because that doesn't make sense on these SOC platforms I'm targeting.

Regards,
Elliot