qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU on ARM64

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU on ARM64
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 00:28:21 +0000

On 28 February 2014 07:08, Chalamarla, Tirumalesh
<address@hidden> wrote:
>               Is there any one, trying out cross compiling and running qemu
> on aarch64 host. if so is there a development branch where this wrok is
> progressing.
>
>                Some one could please let me know the plan/time frame, for
> qemu on arm64 hosts running arm64 guests.

It's not entirely clear which of the various possible QEMU aarch64
setups you're interested in. Summary:

(1) using QEMU on aarch64 hosts to emulate other CPU architectures
(eg x86, MIPS): this went into QEMU about six months ago and was
in the last release of QEMU (1.7)

(2) using QEMU on aarch64 hosts as the userspace component
of a VM using KVM kernel support to run an aarch64 guest: this
should work with current QEMU, though some functionality (for
instance, migration) is not yet implemented

(3) using QEMU to emulate individual Linux AArch64 binaries, running
on any host (typically x86): this works in current upstream master, but
some instructions (parts of SIMD) are not yet implemented. I hope
we'll get the SIMD coverage completed within the next few weeks,
in time to put it into QEMU 2.0.

(4) using QEMU to emulate an entire AArch64 system that can
boot a guest kernel, typically running on an x86 host: we're
working on this right now; we have work-in-progress code which
will boot a kernel and are working on cleaning it up to upstream
quality. I expect we'll have this done within a month or two, but
it won't make it into the QEMU 2.0 release (slightly too late).

I'm guessing you're interested in (2) or maybe (1). For (2),
address@hidden is a good list to follow to
monitor what's currently going on.

thanks
-- PMM