qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Call for testing QEMU aarch64-linux-user emulation

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Call for testing QEMU aarch64-linux-user emulation
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:45:17 +0000

On 10 March 2014 11:28, Alex Bennée <address@hidden> wrote:

> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 9 March 2014 23:37, Dann Frazier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Also - I've found an issue with running OpenJDK in the latest upstream git:
>>>
>>> address@hidden:/root# java
>>> #
>>> [thread 274902467056 also had an error]# A fatal error has been
>>> detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
>>>
>>> #
>>> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000000000000000, pid=9960, tid=297441608176
>>
>> Not sure there's much point looking very deeply into this.
>> Java programs are threaded, threaded programs don't work
>> under QEMU => don't try to run Java under QEMU :-)
>
> Having said that I'm sure there was another SIGILL related crash on
> Launchpad and I think we would be interested in those. Is JAVA really
> that buggy under QEMU just because of threading?

My experience is that typically it's "take a day investigating
what's going wrong in a complicated and hard to debug guest
program, determine that it's the same cluster of issues we
already know about and have no plan to fix". So 99% of the
time it's just not worth investigating if the guest program
uses threads at all.

thanks
-- PMM