qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] different IDTs of the same VCPU

From: Alexander Binun
Subject: [Qemu-devel] different IDTs of the same VCPU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:59:55 +0200 (IST)

Dear Friends,

   Thanks for your assistance!

We would like to ask you a question about the KVM internals.

Our module includes a timer which (once in every second) fetches the IDT value
of every online VCPU in the system using the kvm_x86_ops->get_idt ; the code
looks like:

  struct kvm_vcpu *curr_vcpu;
  struct desc_ptr dt;

  list_for_each_entry(kvm, vms_list, vm_list)
  {
    for (i = 0; i < kvm->online_vcpus.counter; i++)
       {
       curr_vcpu = kvm->vcpus[i];
       kvm_x86_ops->get_idt(curr_vcpu, &dt);
    }
  }

We have noticed that get_idt returns DIFFERENT values for the same VCPU (i.e.
for the same value of i that refers to a given VCPU). We cannot understand this
issue; could you explain ?

It is very strange since nobody changes the IDT value (as , for example,
rootkits do).

Regards,
    the Israeli KVM team