qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] n ways block filters

From: Benoît Canet
Subject: [Qemu-devel] n ways block filters
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 16:57:56 +0100

Hello list,

I plan to convert throttling to a block filter and write n way throttling
support.

I discussed a bit with Stefan on the list and we came to the conclusion that the
block filter API need group support.

filter group:
-------------

My current plan to implement this is to add the following fields to the
BlockDriver
structure.

int bdrv_add_filter_group(const char *name, QDict options);
int bdrv_reconfigure_filter_group(const char *name, QDict options);
int bdrv_destroy_filter_group(const char *name);

These three extra method would allow to create, reconfigure or destroy a block
filter group. A block filter group contain the shared or non shared state of the
blockfilter. For throttling it would contains the ThrottleState structure.

Each block filter driver would contains a linked list of linked list where the
BDS are registered grouped by filter groups state.

The regular bdrv_open callback would be used to instantiate a block filter and
add it to a filter group. This method would also take a new-node-name for the
new
filter. This node-name would become the name of the new filter.
bdrv_close would cleanup and deregister from a filter group.

An extra filter-group field in the option dict would allow the bdrv_open method
to register the newly opened block filter in it's filter group.
The BDS structure would have a direct pointer to it's filter group state.

Utility methods to do the bdrv_add_filter_group bdrv_open then bdrv_swap to
install a new filter can be provided by block.c. The same can be done for filter
close and desinstallation.

Legacy throttling QMP API
-------------------------

The legacy throttling API would create throttling filters groups containing only
one BDS.

By default for every 1 way block filter block.c would create a filter group
using the BDS id or node-name as group name. This allow for easy filer removal
with the bds reference.

Group throttling API

Commands would be added to create throttling filter groups reconfigure and
remove
them.

Two additional commands would be added to create and insert a block filter in a
given group or close and remove it.

Before I start implementing something what are your thougths on this ?

Best regards

Benoît