qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] propose a new idea for GSOC 2014

From: Daniel Smith
Subject: [Qemu-devel] propose a new idea for GSOC 2014
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:08:53 -0500

Hi

I would like to propose a new idea for GSOC 2014 that I want to implement for QEMU. Since QEMU are widely used for binary analysis, dynamic binary code instrumentation and so on.
Can we provide the framework like Pin (A Dynamic Binary Instrumentation Tool) for those areas in QEMU? Different from that, our framework can support both user and kernel level instrumentation.

Some potential works may include:
(1) Trace the instructions under a specified system call context (without interrupt code);
(2) Integrate Xed2 for supporting disassembling. Xed2 is a very convenient tool and provides bunch of APIs for disassembling.
(3) Support instrumentation abilities for guest OS event. For example, (1) print the value of "EAX" before a specified instruction gets executed; (2) print system call arguments for a certain system call.

Please let me know whether you have interest for this idea.

Thanks!