qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Missing dependency checks in qemu build

From: Matthew Fernandez
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Missing dependency checks in qemu build
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 11:10:56 +1100

Hi all,

This only came to my attention when building qemu on a colleague's machine recently, but there are some dependencies for the build that are not detected during the standard `configure` process. In particular, missing autoconf was not detected until running `make` itself. Also missing libtool produced a fairly obtuse error. It was reasonably apparent to me what went wrong, but thoroughly confusing to my colleague.

Should the configure process be made more bulletproof? Perhaps assuming the existence of these things seems fine to others. I don't know what the status quo is here. By the way, this is with reference to the qemu 1.7.0 release. I'm not on the list currently, so please CC me when replying.

Thanks,
Matt