qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC]Two ideas to optimize updating irq routing table

From: Gonglei (Arei)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC]Two ideas to optimize updating irq routing table
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 08:39:13 +0000

> On my system I have HZ=100 and lots of CPUs. So RCUs "every cpu has
> scheduled"
> is certainly slower than SRCUs algorithm
> (/*
>  * We use an adaptive strategy for synchronize_srcu() and especially for
>  * synchronize_srcu_expedited().  We spin for a fixed time period
>  * (defined below) to allow SRCU readers to exit their read-side critical
>  * sections.  If there are still some readers after 10 microseconds,
>  * we repeatedly block for 1-millisecond time periods.  This approach
>  * has done well in testing, so there is no need for a config parameter.
>  */
> )
>
> With HZ==1000 and a NO. CPUs small SRCUs spinning might be in the same
> delay
> range than classic RCU depending on how long the read side critical
> section is (if we move from spinning to blocking)
> So using synchronize_srcu_expedited is certainly something to test as it
> increased the spinning time.
>
> Christian
Yes, after we changed to synchronize_srcu_expedited, grace period latency
improves much
and overall this is good. However as I mentioned in another mail, in our
setting-IRQ-affinity
and ping test, we can still see some impact of KVM_SET_GSI_ROUTING ioctl. I
wrote another
patch in that mail and want to be examined to see if it is acceptable or has
any problem, thank you.

Best regards,
-Gonglei