qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Massive read only kvm guests when backing file was miss

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Massive read only kvm guests when backing file was missing
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:53:47 +0100

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:10:40AM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 08:36:57AM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:

> > > I'm guessing this is what happened: guests timed out meanwhile.
> > > You can increase the timeout within the guest:
> > > echo 600 > /sys/block/sda/device/timeout
> > > to timeout after 10 minutes.
> > >
> > > If you have installed qemu guest agent on your system, you can do this
> > > from the host. Unfortunately by default it's memory can be pushed out to
> > > swap
> > > and then on disk error access there might will fail :(
> > > Maybe we should consider mlock on all its memory at least as an option.
> > >
> > > You could pause your guests, restart them after the issue is resolved,
> > > and we could I guess add functionality to pause VM on disk errors
> > > automatically.
> > > Stefan?
> >
> > Would -drive rerror=stop do?
>
> I think it will. It's a pity it doesn't appear in --help output -
> would make it easier to find.

It is documented on the man page.  I'll send a patch to document it in
the --help output too.

But there's still a problem because the guest can have a shorter timeout
or the image may be NFS mounted on the host.  In that case the guest may
give up on the request before the host.  Then there is nothing QEMU can
do to avoid an error being returned to the application or the guest file
system going into read-only mode.

So make sure the timeout inside the guest is high.

Stefan