qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing guest clock-sync on Host clock change

From: Erik Rull
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing guest clock-sync on Host clock change
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 21:14:21 +0100

Laszlo Ersek wrote:
On 03/27/14 09:41, Erik Rull wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to have the guest "drifting" to a new set clock on the host.

My problem is the following:

- Host System (Linux) starts up, hwclock and kernel time are synced,
guest starts up with -rtc clock=host,driftfix=slew (which I assume
should fix any drift issue on ACPI compatible guest OSes)
- Host System kernel time drifts against the hwclock (jiffies timer due
to no other available useful timer on SMP systems - core2duo has no hpet!)
- calling "hwclock -s" on the host resyncs the kernel time with the
hwclock, so "date" and "hwclock" show the same again
- the guest stays at the "old" kernel time before the sync - also after
1 hour the delta is still the same, so no sync or slew is done :-(

My guest OS is Windows 8, which must have ACPI enabled, otherwise it
will not work.

Any ideas how to proceed? Maybe some command line parameters are wrong?

I need this resync for the guest due to external synchronization - it
must not be millisecond-precise, but a 9 seconds shift during a run
overnight is too much!

My take: the hardware clock (the RTC) in the guest has correct value,
but the guest OS system time os not refreshed from it. Install the guest
agent in Windows, and call its "guest-set-time" command (with virsh
qemu-agent-command, or otherwise). Do not pass any argument for the
optional "time" parameter; this way the guest will sync its kernel time
from its RTC.

See:
- qga/qapi-schema.json, "guest-set-time",
- qga/commands-win32.c, qmp_guest_set_time()

In any case this is just a guess.

Laszlo

Hi Laszlo,

thanks, I will try that, but might take some time, because the changes for the qemu-ga are bigger to activate. Is there a possiblity to set the RTC of the guest automatically in sync with the host hardware RTC? I didn't find a parameter for that.

Best regards,

Erik