qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is it necessary to add a Monitor event of QEVENT_DEVICE

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is it necessary to add a Monitor event of QEVENT_DEVICE_ADDED
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 06:13:25 -0600

On 04/03/2014 03:02 AM, xiexiangyou wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    As we know, when hot-add a device, we don't know whether the device is
> present in VM from outside(like libvirt).
> However, unplugging device, when complete remove the device, Qemu will
> generate a Monitor event,QEVENT_DEVICE_DELETED.
> Libvirt can receive the event and do something.
>    So is it necessary to add a Monitor event of completing add device such as
> QEVENT_DEVICE_ADDED.

DEVICE_DELETED is important because the operation is still underway even
after the initial monitor command returns control to libvirt, because
there is guest interaction involved.  But for hotplug, the monitor
command doesn't return until the action is complete, and no guest
interaction is required to know that the action was completed; so I
don't see the use case for an event.