qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Documentation tools for QEMU

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Documentation tools for QEMU
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:25:32 +0200

Il 03/04/2014 20:56, Anirudha Bose ha scritto:
Hi Paolo !

I would like to volunteer to develop Documentation tools for QEMU during
my summer holidays. Yesterday I had expressed my intent to work on this
project in the IRC channel of QEMU. This is a follow up email of your reply.

That's awesome. I've CCed qemu-devel so that other folks see what you'd like to do.

I'll be away for three weeks starting tomorrow, unfortunately, so making this public is even more important.

We can use Pandoc to convert all the docs in different formats to HTML,
rather than integrating all of them to qemu-tech.texi. We can do the
same thing with other files as well like qemu-docs.texi and qemu-img.texi.

A challenge in this project would be to process the plaintext files
which have no styles defined in them. So rather than making the script
do it, wouldn't it be better if all of them are rewritten in Markdown so
that the final HTML will have a consistent look?

Yes, rewriting docs/ to Markdown is a good first step.

Some things you could do include:

- do the above Markdown rewrite, and test it with pandoc conversion to HTML

- send patches for it, so that you can get warm with the patches review process

- build a pandoc filter that converts @foo to `foo`. I think there are examples in pandoc's homepage.

- look at command descriptions from qmp-commands.hx and start integrating missing information into qapi-schema.json. Make qapi-schema.json doc comments much closer to Markdown (plus with the @foo syntax).

- study the QAPISchema class in scripts/qapi.py. Start thinking of a qapi-schema.json -> Markdown converter and draft it in Python. Later we can parse the JSON too, to include type information in the documentation.

- move *.texi files to docs/ and update the Makefile for it.

What you expectations with this project? Would the final HTML
documentation be hosted somewhere like readthedocs.org
<http://readthedocs.org>? Have you considered using Spinx for this purpose?

No, you know more than I do it seems. :)

Paolo