qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 1/6] hw/arm/virt: add a xgmac device

From: Alistair Francis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 1/6] hw/arm/virt: add a xgmac device
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:41:10 +1000

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 10.04.14 15:26, Peter Crosthwaite wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Eric Auger <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> From: Kim Phillips <address@hidden>
>>>
>>> This is a hack and only serves as an example of what needs to be
>>> done to make the next RFC - add vfio-platform support - work
>>> for development purposes on a Calxeda Midway system.  We don't want
>>> mach-virt to always create this ethernet device - DO NOT APPLY, etc.
>>>
>>> Initial attempts to convince QEMU to create a memory mapped device
>>> on the command line (e.g., -device vfio-platform,name=fff51000.ethernet)
>>> would fail with "Parameter 'driver' expects pluggable device type".
>>
>> Alistair is working on this. cc.
>

> Alaistair, I've had patches tackle this on the mailing list a few months ago
> and received good comments from Anthony on what to change. How far in are
> you already? I'd like to make sure we're on the same page here (and don't
> duplicate work).
>

> Alex

Hey Alex,

I have a patch I'm about to send to the mailing list. It allows an
entire machine to be added by the -device argument on the command
line. It is a similar implementation to my first version (vl.c: Allow
sysbus devices to be attached via commandline), but much more generic.

Could you point me to your patches so I can compare? At the moment I
don't have much feedback to my implementation

Thanks,

Alistair