qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [RFC 00/12] target-ppc: Decimal Floating Poi

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [RFC 00/12] target-ppc: Decimal Floating Point
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:23:46 -0600

On 04/14/2014 09:18 AM, Tom Musta wrote:

> I am trying to make sense of the contents of the QEMU LICENSE file which
> states this:
>
>     "1) QEMU as a whole is released under the GNU General Public License,
>     version 2."
>
> but then later states this:
>
>     "As of July 2013, contributions under version 2 of the GNU General Public
>     License (and no later version) are only accepted for the following files
>     or directories: bsd-user/, linux-user/, hw/misc/vfio.c, hw/xen/xen_pt*."
>
> I am working on getting libdecnumber source with GPLv2 licensing, but the
> previous
> paragraph suggests that it will not be accepted either.

Most likely, your changes to libdecnumber will give it GPLv2+ licensing,
since the library is already available under GPLv3+ and you would just
be widening that to also include GPLv2 (in other words, your change
would implicitly be GPLv2+ because it already has the "or later" built
in by the fact that the library is already available under a later
license). But if you were to succeed at releasing libdecnumber as
GPLv2-only instead of GPLv2+ (I don't recommend attempting that, but for
the sake of argument), then you would modify that part of the LICENSE
file statement to add libdecnumber to the set of files which come from
GPLv2-only sources.