qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] memory access trace from qemu

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] memory access trace from qemu
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:01:28 +0200

Pete Stevenson writes:

> Hi All -
> I would like to generate a trace of all memory accesses (i.e. read or write,
> physical address, and data content/payload). The end goal is to use this trace
> to drive a separate memory system simulator. Ideally, the trace would also
> provide core-id and a timestamp (but I am not as optimistic that qemu will
> give
> me these).

> I have noted that several previous threads address this topic, so perhaps the
> question becomes can I get in contact with those who have successfully done
> this
> before? I'd like to do as little as possible here :) to get what I want, and
> I'm
> hoping that either this has been rolled into the new qemu release or that a
> previously existing patch does most of what I want (i.e. which patch?).

> I would be happy to hack the qemu source code if there is only one or two
> places
> where I need to do invasive surgery.

You could try with [1], although it only provides information on virtual
addresses. You can get the physical address and the value by calling other
functions once you know the virtual address (qi_mem_virt_to_phys,
qi_mem_read_phys).

The little documentation available on the patches might be outdated, though. I
was planning on cleaning it up after polishing the TCG tracing patches.

[1] https://projects.gso.ac.upc.edu/projects/qemu-dbi/wiki

Lluis

 Tollbooth