qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Monitor Readline - no terminal echo after exit

From: Mike Day
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Monitor Readline - no terminal echo after exit
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:47:44 -0400

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:31 AM, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I believe someone on the list mentioned they are seeing a couple
>> problems entering and exiting the Monitor. I'd like to look at this more
>> closely, starting with my most pending issue: losing the terminal echo
>> after exiting the Monitor.

Thanks for the reply Markus.

> Reproducer?

I've found a couple of ways to reproduce the problem. The easiest is
to use -nographic on the qemu command line when starting a qemu
session. In this case the monitor opens stdio but there is no visible
input or output.

Another way is to use -nographic along with -mon <chardev =
stdio>,mode=readline. In this case the monitor works, but when you
exit from the monitor your terminal will not echo characters.

For reference, here are the chardev and mon options I use:

 -chardev stdio,id=mon0 -mon chardev=mon0,mode=readline

I see that -nographic is a deprecated option, fwiw.

> The monitor runs on top of a QEMU chardev.  Suggest to start digging at
> monitor_init(), both into the monitor itself, and into the
> CharDriverState object.

Thus far I've confirmed that when the -nographic option is passed, the
mon_init_func does not get called (as it does for readline mode). I
know why this is, but I'm not yet sure the right way to fix it.  Also,
with -nographic and mon:stdio  monitor_flush is called for every line
entered execpt for the last line. Normally monitor_flush is called for
every line including the last line, at least in readline mode.

I've run out of time looking at this today, but would but would be
happy if anyone has further ideas.

Mike