qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU: PCI bus name on PowerPC platforms

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU: PCI bus name on PowerPC platforms
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 19:49:24 +0200

On 27.04.14 18:16, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 11/04/2014 14:27, Eric Blake ha scritto:

But with just this patch, you have caused the situation where it is
neither introspectible, nor consistent across qemu versions. The only
way to code that up in libvirt is to do MULTIPLE version checks and
correlate it with architecture checks - and that's the hack we don't
want to have to support.  Every single version check done in lieu of
proper feature introspection is yet one more pain point when features
get backported across version numbers downstream.

Or just stop catering to anything but the latest QEMU version for ARM and PPC and s390. Nobody can really say with a straight face that the interface is even remotely stable, especially as these platforms are going through the very same painful discoveries we had with x86 (changing hardware when command line options are reordered, for example) and do not even have versioned machine types yet.

Yes, I think that makes the most sense. And if you really have to do a downstream frankenstein QEMU version, patch your downstream frankenstein libvirt version accordingly.

Alex