qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/10] target-arm queue

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/10] target-arm queue
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 20:55:08 +0100

On 4 May 2014 20:45, Richard W.M. Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 08:36:20PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> OK, so you have a kernel (possibly just kernel config) problem
>> here -- this means QEMU got EPERM trying to open /dev/kvm.
>
> Yes for some reason it was 0600.  I set it to 0666.
>
>> This isn't going to work for aarch64 at the moment because:
>>  * KVM aarch64 currently requires '-cpu host'
>
> OK -- I will play with libguestfs to make sure it passes this flag,
> and try again.

It should in theory be possible to get -cpu cortex-a57 to
work (though I haven't tried it so it's likely missing something
trivial); however that will only work if your host CPU is
actually a Cortex-A57. For any other host you'll need
-cpu host.

> Currently waiting for the host (which has panicked
> again) to be rebooted manually.

If your host has panicked that's a kernel bug :-) (or possibly
a hardware bug if you're unlucky). If it does so reproducibly
when you prod it with QEMU then you should probably retest
with a recent kernel and report it to the kvm-arm mailing list.

thanks
-- PMM