qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU build broken

From: Stacey Son
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU build broken
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 12:26:14 -0500

On May 9, 2014, at 4:55 AM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 9 May 2014 09:57, Riku Voipio <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 8 May 2014 17:54, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Ah, bsd-user. Do you actually use it, or is it just
>>> in the default compile that you're running?
>
>> One year since last bsd-user specific patch, I take we need a new
>> maintainer for bsd-user?
>
> Perhaps so. Stacey Son submitted a set of patches to
> it back in January, but they were a very large series
> which needed some restructuring to get through code
> review and I don't think there's been a respin of those.
>
> Personally I would like to see it either (a) actively
> maintained upstream or (b) just removed from the tree;
> the current situation doesn't seem very useful.

There is some interest from FreeBSD folks to use qemu bsd-user mode in package
cross building.  In fact, support was added recently to poudriere to used qemu
to cross build packages for armv6 and mips64 (see
https://fossil.etoilebsd.net/poudriere/tktview/eb7afa654cec95e107905c64b78fb030abc1437b
 for example).  Sean Bruno added the missing bits to make mips32 work
correctly.  Juergen Lock (nox@) has also contributed a lot of bug fixes and
maintains the FreeBSD port.

As for restructuring the (25,000+ lines of) patches Sean has agreed to help
with that given that I am busy with some other things at the moment.

Regards,

-stacey.