qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU build broken

From: Brad Smith
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU build broken
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 02:45:08 -0400

On 10/05/14 2:25 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Brad Smith <address@hidden> writes:

On 09/05/14 7:35 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 10 May 2014 00:02, Brad Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08/05/14 10:54 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
Ah, bsd-user. Do you actually use it, or is it just
in the default compile that you're running?

I do not use it personally but it is common sense that commits
must not be breaking the build.

I generally agree, but the minor ports (roughly, anything
not x86 Linux) are inevitably going to get broken from time
to time, because not everybody has access to all those
systems to test on. bsd-user is particularly bad because
it is a large chunk of code only built for BSD and it's
not really maintained right now. (Hence my interest in
whether it actually has users or if we're just carrying
around a big lump of dead weight code.)

This is just excuses and points out poor project process.
There could easily be a staging branch to deal with this.

Having your feature in-tree is a privilege, not a right.  You earn it by
helping to maintain it.  "it's not really maintained right now" means it
has not been earning its keep.  You're encouraged to remedy that.

Huh? "my feature"? I have nothing to do with this. What kind of crazy
is this? How to misdirect and not take responsibility for breaking
something. If there wasn't sloppy irresponsible development in the
first place it wouldn't be an issue.

believed to be clean.