qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] vhost: Can we change synchronize_rcu to call_rcu

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] vhost: Can we change synchronize_rcu to call_rcu in vhost_set_memory() in vhost kernel module?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 14:46:46 +0200

Il 12/05/2014 14:12, Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 01:46:19PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 12/05/2014 13:07, Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 12:25:35PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 12/05/2014 12:18, Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 12:14:25PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 12/05/2014 12:08, Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:57:32AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Perhaps we can check for cases where only the address is changing,
and poke at an existing struct kvm_kernel_irq_routing_entry without
doing any RCU synchronization?

I suspect interrupts can get lost then: e.g. if address didn't match any
cpus, now it matches some. No?

Can you explain the problem more verbosely? :)

Multiple writers would still be protected by the mutex, so you
cannot have an "in-place update" writer racing with a "copy the
array" writer.

I am not sure really.
I'm worried about reader vs writer.
If reader sees a stale msi value msi will be sent to a wrong
address.

That shouldn't happen on any cache-coherent system, no?

Or at least, it shouldn't become any worse than what can already
happen with RCU.

Meaning guest must do some synchronization anyway?

Yes, I think so.  The simplest would be to mask the interrupt around
MSI configuration changes.  Radim was looking at a similar bug.

Was this with classic assignment or with vfio?

No, it was with QEMU emulated devices (AHCI). Not this path, but it did involve MSI configuration changes while the interrupt was unmasked in the device.

He couldn't replicate on bare metal,
but I don't see why it shouldn't
be possible there too.

I doubt linux does something tricky here, so
I'm not talking about something linux guest does,
I'm talking about an abstract guarantee of the
APIC.

APIC or PCI? The chipset is involved here, not the APICs (the APICs just see interrupt transactions).

If baremetal causes a synchronisation point
and we don't, at some point linux will use it and
this will bite us.

Yes, and I agree.

It's complicated; on one hand I'm not sure we can entirely fix this, on the other hand it may be that the guest cannot have too high expectations.

The invalid scenario is an interrupt happening before the MSI reconfiguration and using the new value. It's invalid because MSI reconfiguration is a non-posted write and must push previously posted writes. But we cannot do that at all! QEMU has the big lock that implicitly orders transactions, but this does not apply to high-performance users of irqfd (vhost, VFIO, even QEMU's own virtio-blk dataplane). Even if we removed all RCU uses for the routing table, we don't have a "bottleneck" that orders transactions and removes this invalid scenario.

At the same time, it's obviously okay if an interrupt happens after the MSI reconfiguration and uses the old value. That's a posted write passing an earlier non-posted write, which is allowed. This is the main reason why I believe that masking/unmasking is required on bare metal. In addition, if the masking/unmasking is done with a posted write (MMIO BAR), the guest needs to do a read for synchronization before it unmasks the interrupt.

In any case, whether writes synchronize with RCU or bypass it doesn't change the picture. In either case, writes are ordered against each other but not against reads. RCU does nothing except preventing dangling pointer accesses.

Paolo