qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Build Broken?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Build Broken?
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 16:55:03 +0100

On 13 May 2014 16:34, Michael Tokarev <address@hidden> wrote:
> 13.05.2014 18:17, Tom Musta wrote:
>> The current origin/master is not building for me:
>>
>>   LINK  qemu-img
>> qemu-img.o: In function `add_format_to_seq':
>> /bghome/tmusta/powerisa/qemu/qemu/qemu-img.c:73: undefined reference to
>> `g_sequence_lookup'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make: *** [qemu-img] Error 1
> []
>> It appears that this code is dependent on glib.h function that is newer than
>> one of my build systems
>> (RHEL 6 update 5, gcc version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-4))
>>
>> Is this a known limitation?  i.e. is QEMU 2.1 going to prereq a newer
>> version of glib2?
>
> If we're going to require more recent glib (g_sequence_lookup() first
> appeared in 2.26),
> let's require at least 2.31 with the new threading primitives as well.

This is the wrong end to approach this question from, I think.
We should start with "which RedHat/Fedora/Debian/SuSE/etc
distro versions do we need to support?" and then can derive
the minimum glib version from that.

In particular, if RHEL6 doesn't have a glib with
g_sequence_lookup I think it's a fairly straightforward
decision to say we can't use it.

thanks
-- PMM