qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] uvesafb doesn't work with seabios

From: Gerhard Wiesinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] uvesafb doesn't work with seabios
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 20:08:41 +0200

On 13.05.2014 17:41, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
The x86emu code does not properly emulate "leal" (as near as I can tell it treats it as a "leaw" instead), which leads to all sorts of bizarre behavior when it tries to interpret the code. This type of issue has occurred for a bunch of instructions (on both x86emu and on an emulator Windows uses) and we've worked around it in SeaVGABIOS with a combination of gcc compiler flags and by post processing gcc's assembler to remove some troublesome instructions. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to convince gcc to not emit the "leal" instruction and the instruction appears too complex to readily patch out of the assembler.

Can't that wrong behaviour of "leal" instruction be fixed in qemu?

Ciao,
Gerhard