qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] dump-guest-memory command?

From: Jun Koi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] dump-guest-memory command?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 21:01:43 +0800

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Laszlo Ersek <address@hidden> wrote:
On 05/16/14 11:59, Jun Koi wrote:

> - is it true that dump-guest-memory just write down physical memory
> page, and does not consider the virtual-memory concept?

No, it isn't.

Basically, "dump-guest-memory" supports two modes of operation, "paging
enabled" and "paging disabled".

Many (most?) people dump for the "crash" utility, which is super smart,
and extra paging info is not needed. For "crash" we just dump the
guest-phys memory ranges the way the guest sees them, and that's it;
"crash" figures out everything from that.

If you want to use "gdb" rather than "crash", or need the guest-virtual
addresses in the ELF vmcore for some other reason, then you should
invoke "dump-guest-memory" with paging enabled.

Enter "help dump-guest-memory" at the qemu monitor prompt, and look for
the "-p" option.

so i suppose this works for all kind of OS in guest VM, not only Linux guest?

thanks so much,
Jun