qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] usb3 regression with qemu 2.0

From: Fabio Fantoni
Subject: [Qemu-devel] usb3 regression with qemu 2.0
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 15:09:33 +0200

Il 22/05/2014 13:50, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
Il 22/05/2014 13:04, George Dunlap ha scritto:
On 05/22/2014 11:44 AM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 22/05/2014 12:38, George Dunlap ha scritto:
On 05/20/2014 04:20 PM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 20/05/2014 17:03, George Dunlap ha scritto:
Fabio,

If I recall correctly, at some point you had ported my USB hotplug series posted back in 2013 and had it as a patch against the version of Xen you were personally using. Did that series, as it was, work with the usbversion functionality that you added? That is, if you set usbversion=3, did the qmp-add functionality in that patch series automatically put the device on the right hub? Or did it do something mad like add another usb 1.0 hub?

 -George

Yes last year I updated (refresh and one small fix) and tested your patch. Was working with my usbversion and usbredirection patches and passthrough with your new function use new controller of usbversion parameters (code changes to "auto-add" usbversion must be added, I manually added it in xl on my tests if I remember good and auto-add it only with spice usbredir now).

I'm sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you mean. If you set "usbversion=3", were you actually able to successfully hot-plug a device with "xl usb-attach"?

 -George

I seem to have it tested it also with usb3 but can not remember for sure, I remember with certainty to have it tested with usb2. I have to redo the test all cases with xen 4.5 (unstable updated) when I'll have time and let you know?

Actually, the reason I was asking is that I've been testing it myself and have been unable to get it to work. So I was wondering if you had done something specific to get it to work, over and above just porting the patches.

I've just been playing around with it, and it turns out the usb-attach commands *do* work with usbversion=2, but I haven't been able to get them to work with usbversion=3. The same is actually true for qmp -- even connecting directly to qmp and typing in commands manually, the device add / remove commands don't work.

So no need to do any more testing at this point -- it's almost certainly a qemu-side thing, which means we should probably post the patches first, and then look at how we can get them working with usbversion=3.

Thanks for your help.  I'll cc you when I send the updated patches.

 -George

Recently I not tested usb3, only usb2 with spice usbredirection, maybe there are regressions with usb3on updated qemu, I'll try as soon as I can.
What version of upstream qemu are you using?

I did a fast test now with usb3 with spice usbredirection and seems there is a regression :( I tried it on windows 7 domU 64 bit, after installed the usb3 drivers qemu crashed with this error:
qemu-system-i386: /mnt/vm/qemu/qemu-2.0.0+dfsg/hw/usb/hcd-xhci.c:882: xhci_events_update: Assertion `intr->er_full' failed.
I rebooted the domU and tried to redirect two usb devices but nothing happen. Seems that also xen usb passthrough with usb3 is no more working (see George Dunlap post above). When I tried it last year it worked, I do not remember the exact versions of all software of old tests.
Using usb2 (default in libxl) is still working.

Now I used wheezy dom0 with xen 4.4.0 from custom packages, seabios 1.7.4-4~bpo70+1 and qemu 2.0.0+dfsg-4~bpo70+1:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2014-05/msg00187.html

Added qemu-devel on cc and changed the mail title.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.