qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] redirecting stdio from a VM guest

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] redirecting stdio from a VM guest
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 11:14:49 -0600

On 05/28/2014 06:51 AM, Alexander Binun wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>    First of all, great thanks for your support! I would ask yet one
question.

> I have a programs running on a VM guest. Its output is valuable (for
VM introspection) so I want to let the host module know about it. I
prefer to redirect  ' stdio" of a guest into a device at the host (the
latter has the name "mydev" and the driver is written for it).

> The command string for qemu will look like qemu -serial /dev/mydev ...
But I would like to modify the libvirt definition XML file (in
/etc/libvirt/qemu).

One more thing - don't ever modify /etc/libvirt/qemu files directly -
that goes behind libvirt's back and risks more problems than what you
are trying to solve.  Instead, use 'virsh edit $domname'.

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/FAQ#Where_are_VM_config_files_stored.3F_How_do_I_edit_a_VM.27s_XML_config.3F