qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] When should management tools use q35?

From: Cole Robinson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] When should management tools use q35?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 21:22:53 -0400

Hi all,

There was a bit of discussion recently about exposing q35 in virt-manager:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2014-May/msg00001.html

In that thread, Gerd suggested a 'rule of thumb' to use q35 for any guest OS
released in 2010 or later. Sounds reasonable to me, but I'm curious if anyone
else wants to weigh in.

Is q35 in 'good enough' shape to turn on a default like that? Does it still
block migration? (pretty sure that was fixed, but I haven't confirmed)

If it is in good enough shape, is there a minimum recommended qemu version?

Thanks,
Cole