qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Build error /oslib-posix.c:153: undefined reference to

From: Sai Prajeeth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Build error /oslib-posix.c:153: undefined reference to `trace_qemu_anon_ram_free'
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 20:09:12 +0530

Thanks. Out-of-tree build worked (with make distclean before checking out new commit).

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10 June 2014 13:03, Sai Prajeeth <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am getting this error if i try to build qemu.
>
> libqemuutil.a(oslib-posix.o): In function `qemu_anon_ram_alloc':
> /util/oslib-posix.c:141: undefined reference to `trace_qemu_anon_ram_alloc'
> libqemuutil.a(oslib-posix.o): In function `qemu_anon_ram_free':
> /util/oslib-posix.c:153: undefined reference to `trace_qemu_anon_ram_free'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> This occurred when i performed bisection on current master
> (7721a3044234c46cd6f5f899e7467dc9351f3c8d) and an earlier commit. Now when i
> checkout master i keep getting this. Any idea what is wrong?
>
> Build works if i pull the whole repo again.

Yeah, this kind of thing can happen if you bisect between
an old commit and a new one -- make clean and make distclean
don't know how to remove files which were created by the
build in the old commit but which don't get built in the new
one, and then the stale files can occasionally cause
problems with the build.

You may be able to determine what the stale file is and
remove it, but usually the easiest thing to do in this
situation is simply to delete the build tree and do a
complete rebuild from scratch. (Being able to do that is
a good reason for doing your builds out-of-tree,
incidentally.)

You might also try 'check out old commit; make distclean;
check out new commit; build'.

thanks
-- PMM