qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 00/39] Convert PC machine-types to QOM classes

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 00/39] Convert PC machine-types to QOM classes
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 00:53:06 -0300

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 04:43:39PM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> Now with lots of cleanup, so you can see how the end result will look like
> after
> the conversion.
>
> My goal is that _all_ PC machine-types should be declared using only a
> class_init + TypeInfo pair, and nothing else. The only thing I couldn't
> eliminate yet were the pc_compat_*() functions, because we still need them for
> the KVM CPUID compat stuff.

Git tree:
  https://github.com/ehabkost/qemu-hacks/tree/pc-machine-class.v2

This is based on Michael's pci tree.

The basic steps of the conversion (which I forgot to include in the
cover letter):
 * PC_COMPAT_* cleanup, so all follow the same nesting pattern
 * Make MachineClass.compat_props a linked list
 * Mechanical conversion of current code to QOM (like the previous RFC I sent)
 * Elimination of *machine_options() functions
 * Moving global variables to PCMachineClass
 * Common pc_machine_init() function, with a compat_func hook
 * Some piix/q35 duplication elimination, just as a proof of concept of how
   we can proceed

--
Eduardo