qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why I advise against using ivshmem

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why I advise against using ivshmem
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:44:11 +0200

Il 17/06/2014 11:03, David Marchand ha scritto:
Unless someone steps up and maintains ivshmem, I think it should be
deprecated and dropped from QEMU.

Then I can maintain ivshmem for QEMU.
If this is ok, I will send a patch for MAINTAINERS file.

Typically, adding yourself to maintainers is done only after having proved your ability to be a maintainer. :)

So, let's stop talking and go back to code! You can start doing what was suggested elsewhere in the thread: get the server and uio driver merged into the QEMU tree, document the protocol in docs/specs/ivshmem_device_spec.txt, and start fixing bugs such as the ones that Markus reported.

Since ivshmem is basically KVM-only (it has a soft dependency on ioeventfd), CC the patches to address@hidden and I'll merge them via the KVM tree for now. I'll (more than) gladly give maintainership away in due time.

Paolo