qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] machines and versions - why so many?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] machines and versions - why so many?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 23:41:37 +0200

Am 23.06.2014 23:35, schrieb Alexey Kardashevskiy:
> Looks like I must copy PC_COMPAT_X_X as PSERIES_COMPAT_X_X starting 1.6 (or
> 1.7 - whichever starts supporting migration well enough on pseries) because
> pretty much of what they do is tweaking PCI devices and we can have all of
> these devices on pseries. And then keep an eye on what is happening in PC
> world to copy same tweaks to pseries as they come. Is that correct?

Please don't. There's a series by Marcel on the list converting those PC
macros to QOM. You already have a QOM sPAPR machine, so you should just
derive new legacy types as needed and override things there.

Also, -machine *is* the global mechanism we have to tell QEMU which
version you want, it's a shorthand for setting a list of global
properties. Don't forget that QEMU can be used without libvirt, so the
knowledge of which properties to set for which version is kept in QEMU.

Cheers,
Andreas