qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] alpha qemu arithmetic exceptions

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] alpha qemu arithmetic exceptions
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:27:11 +0100

On 25 June 2014 08:01, Al Viro <address@hidden> wrote:
> Could we steal bit 1 in float_exception_flags for IOV?  It is (currently?)
> unused -
> enum {
>     float_flag_invalid   =  1,
>     float_flag_divbyzero =  4,
>     float_flag_overflow  =  8,
>     float_flag_underflow = 16,
>     float_flag_inexact   = 32,
>     float_flag_input_denormal = 64,
>     float_flag_output_denormal = 128
> };
>
> That would allow to deal with that crap nicely - we could have it raise
> the new flag, then have helper_fp_exc_raise_... for default trap mode
> mask it out (and yes, we need to set FPCR flags in default mode, as well
> as /U and /V - confirmed by direct experiment *and* by TFM).
>
> If we can't... well, we could put that flag separately, but it would be
> more unpleasant.  Folks?

I think it's OK to put extra float_flags in, provided you can define
their semantics in terms that make sense for more than one
architecture (even if only one arch actually happens to need them).
The input_denormal/output_denormal flags only get used for ARM,
for instance. However if you wanted to split overflow from integer
overflow you'd need to fix up all the other targets which expect
them to generate just one exception flag...

(Note that any patch touching softfloat files needs to come with
a statement that you're happy to license it under either the
softfloat-2a or softfloat-2b licenses, because we're currently
midway through the tedious process of trying to relicense it.)

thanks
-- PMM