qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu VGA endian swap low level drawing changes

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu VGA endian swap low level drawing changes
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 10:20:38 +0200

On Mo, 2014-06-30 at 22:32 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 13:14 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> > > From what I can tell, we only ever call the cursor drawing callback on
> > > non-shared surfaces. Should I deduce that the HW cursor emulation simply
> > > doesn't work when using shared surfaces ? Or is there another path I
> > > have missed to handle it ?
> >
> > Hmm.  Looks like hw-cursor-on-shared-surface broken indeed.  Need to dig
> > out a guest which actually uses it & go figure when testing your patch
> > series ...
>
> I don't think I broke it much more than it already was but then I
> couldn't find a guest using it. I've tried the plain cirrus DDX in X and
> it didn't have any problem... maybe windows ?

Nope.  windows xp doesn't use it.  Anything newer doesn't ship with
cirrus drivers any more (and uses vesa bios support).

Looking at the code the cirrus hardware cursor supports two colors only
(and some funky xor mode).  Guess it simply doesn't cut it as you can't
have your cursors drop shadows with that, so guests are ignoring it.

> Right. A quick fix would be to add a flag to force always using a shadow
> surface and set it in cirrus ... I'm not sure anybody will notice the
> performance difference.

I suspect we can rip out hw cursor emulation and nobody will notice the
difference either ...

cheers,
  Gerd