qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Dalvik execution on Android Emulator (QEMU)

From: Anderson Sartor
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Dalvik execution on Android Emulator (QEMU)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 19:56:10 -0300

Hi all,
I'm counting how many basic blocks are executed by a given application on the Android Emulator, so I modified QEMU to do this. However, I came across with the following:
for 2 environment situations: (1) - only the emulator running in the host computer, (2) - the emulator + other processes in the host computer to make the emulator run slower.
and two types of applications:
Native code: The basic blocks are executed the same number of times in situation (1) and (2).
Dalvik (Java) code: The basic blocks are executed a variable number of times (it almost follows the variation in the simulation time of the application caused by the heavy workload on the host computer).

So the question is: What changes in QEMU's execution when Dalvik code is executed? because it is apparently counting more than one time each basic block as the simulation speed varies.

Regards