qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] another locking issue in current dataplane code?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] another locking issue in current dataplane code?
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 17:59:56 +0200

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 01:58:01PM +0200, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> Now. If aio_poll never returns, we have a deadlock here.
> To me it looks like, that aio_poll could be called from iothread_run, even if
> there are no outstanding request.
> Opinions?

Christian pointed out that iothread_run() can miss aio_notify() if a
file descriptor becomes readable/writeable at the same time as the
AioContext->notifier.  aio_poll() will return true since progress was
made and we are left with a hung QEMU.

I sent Christian an initial patch to fix this but now both threads are
stuck in rfifolock_lock() inside cond wait.  That's very strange and
should never happen.

Still trying to figure out what is going on...

Stefan