qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Where to get precompiled qga-vss.dll from ?

From: Tomoki Sekiyama
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Where to get precompiled qga-vss.dll from ?
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 19:46:09 +0000

​
>Hi,
>
>[Rephrasing my earlier post with more clarity.]
>
>I need to work with "guest-fsfreeze-*" commands in Windows 2008 guest VM
>(Host is CentOS 6.4) to quisce the applications.
>

>Windows 2008 Guest Machine

Is this 32bit or 64bit? FYI, qga-vss.dll must be built for corresponding
architecture because it is loaded by the system. (32bit qemu-ga.exe itself
can run on both architectures, but cannot load 64bit qga-vss.dll.)

>    1. Windows 2008 is running following services
>
>        - QEMU Guest Agent
>
>        - QEMU Guest Agent VSS Provider

It looks odd because this service requires qga-vss.dll to be installed.

>    2. C:\> vssadmin list providers
>
>          Provider name: 'QEMU Guest Agent VSS Provider

>               Version: 0.12.1

Officially fsfreeze using VSS is merged on qemu 1.7, but it seems older.
Maybe back-ported from upstream? Where did you get this qemu-ga.exe binary?

>          Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
>
>                Version: 1.0.0.7
>

>Host (CentOS 6.4)
>

>    When "guest-fsfreeze-*" commands are invoked from host, response
>received from guest is "This is not supported". Since "QEMU Guest Agent
>VSS Provider" was already running in Guest VM,
> I was expecting these commands to succeed and quisce  Windows
>applications, but they were reported as unsupported.
>
>address@hidden Downloads]# virsh qemu-agent-command vm_win_06 '{
>"execute": "guest-fsfreeze-status"}'
>{"error":{"class":"Unsupported","desc":"this feature or command is not
>currently supported","data":{}}}
>
>address@hidden Downloads]# virsh qemu-agent-command vm_win_06 '{
>"execute": "guest-fsfreeze-freeze"}'
>{"error":{"class":"Unsupported","desc":"this feature or command is not
>currently supported","data":{}}}
>

>Is missing qga-vss.dll the reason?
>

>I searched my system for this dll and could not find it and suspected
>that missing qga-vss.dll is the reason for this. I took suggestions from
>following post which advised to cross-compile
> qemu code to get qga-vss.dll
>

>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-02/msg01963.html.
>

>But I faced a lot of issues while building i686-w64-mingw32-* in CentOS
>6.4 and had to eventually give up building i686-w64-mingw32-* and move to
>getting pre-compiled QEMU guest agent (with VSS support), which I can
>install on Windows to quisce the applications.

Fedora 20 has all required mingw64 packages to build qemu-ga so you just
need something like:

 # yum install
mingw64-{gcc-c++,gettext,glib2,pixman,pkg-config,termcap,win-iconv,zlib}
           (or mingw32 for 32bit)

to build the cross compile environment.