qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 3/3] cirrus: Fix host CPU blits

From: Peter Lieven
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 3/3] cirrus: Fix host CPU blits
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 10:28:50 +0200

On 14.07.2014 09:29, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 09:24 +0200, Peter Lieven wrote:
it seems you have digged into the cirrus code recently. Have you an idea how to
fix the issue with the graphics corruption for cirrus vga and recent X Server
versions?

E.g. take an Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop CD, boot it into live mode and open terminal.

I have tried to debug it a little, but I have no clue how to solve this. I
tried to get
hands on a real hardware Cirrus Logic Graphics card and test if this happens
there as well,
but I had no chance to get one.
I *think* it is a X server side bug. They broke 24bpp packed pixel
format. I've seen patches submitted to the Xorg list fairly recently by
somebody from canonical.

You can test by creating an xorg.conf to force the display to 16bpp
instead of 24 and see if that helps.

Will do, thanks for the pointer.

Do you see a way to work around this in the graphics driver. E.g. blacklisting
24bpp modes
etc. Even if X.Org people actually merge the fixes there are 2 years of Linux
releases out
there that have corrupted graphics.

Peter