qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/arm: add Lego NXT board

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/arm: add Lego NXT board
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 23:48:14 +0100

On 14 July 2014 22:10, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07/14/2014 10:37 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> But i2c is
>> simple enough, and there are so many devices with a 4-page datasheet,
>> that I think it would be acceptable.  You could also write an i2c
>> passthrough chardev backend that connects to /dev/i2c* and lets the
>> guest access slaves in the host.
>
> My interest is to fake sensor values for the guest and not to connect
> anything to real hardware. I think I misinterpreted your "chardev". To
> clarify: My guest is a bare metal ARM image, no linux and I don't want to
> interact with the host's hardware. So no chardev in the linux sense is
> involved.

Right, but this is an optional part of Paolo's proposal as I understand
it. You could just have your fake sensors be implemented by some
userspace process on the other end of a filedescriptor, as you do now
but with i2c rather than custom protocol. This would also let you run
the same bit of firmware in the guest as would be on the real h/w.

thanks
-- PMM